As Issa Rae continues to reach new heights in her professional career, the 36-year-old has not forgotten the people, and moments, that have impacted her journey. In the June issue of Vanity Fair, Rae shares a memory of late rapper Nipsey Hussle, who she says came through in a major way to mend the relationship between herself and actress Lauren London.
According to Rae, one of her “biggest regrets” occurred when she name-dropped London in interviews and her memoir. Rae said she rubbed her the wrong way by complaining that TV execs had suggested that London could play the lead in Awkward Black Girl, a role that Rae had written for herself.
“One of my biggest regrets, naming her,” said Issa. “She took offense to that.” The relationship was eventually repaired, however, one fateful night at Diddy’s 50th birthday bash.
Rae says Nispey knew of the issue and decided it was time the two made peace.
“He was like, ‘You should just talk to her. Let me set it up,’” she said. “It actually sparked an amazing two-hour conversation. We had so much in common. She was like, ‘People don’t understand, I’m an awkward Black girl.’ In the same way that I was upset about the limited portrayal of Black women, she was like, ‘People do the same thing to me.’ I completely get that.”
You can read more about Issa Rae in the June issue of Vanity Fair.
- Small Doses With Amanda Seales: Roy Wood Jr. Talks Leaving The Daily Show And His Next Moves
- Da Brat Says Carrying Her Child Was ‘The Best Decision I’ve Ever Made In My Life’
- Angel Taylor Talks Solo Debut and New Single ‘Speak’ [LISTEN]
- As Fewer Young People Intend To Vote, Decline Is ‘Most Pronounced’ Among Black Voters, New Poll Finds
- Ledisi: The Good Life Tour
- Dallas Comedy Festival 2024
- Smokey Robinson Contest
- Cirque Musica Holiday Show Spectacular
- The 19th Annual Dallas Blues Festival
- EXODUS 2024 Ft. Kirk Franklin Contest
Issa Rae Credits Nipsey Hussle For Mending Her Relationship With Lauren London was originally published on wzakcleveland.com
Every Time Khloe Kardashian Flashed Her Camel Toe (PHOTOS)
19 Sexy Pictures Of Paula Patton (PHOTOS)
Then & Now: The Cast Of Spike Lee’s “Crooklyn” (PHOTOS)
17 Super Hot Pics Of Nia Long (PHOTOS)
Queen Latifah And Her Longtime Partner Eboni Nichols' Son Named Revealed
Church Announcements: Those Long Prayers Are Causing Blood Clots! [LISTEN]
Mind Body Business: Things You Didn’t Know About Junk Food
‘Shame On You!’ Robert De Niro Gives Heated Testimony at Workplace Abuse Hearing