Follow Majic 94.5 On Twitter: Follow @’majic945’
India Landry, a former Black student at Windfern High School near Houston, TX, was expelled last year for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. In a previous interview with KHOU, India said
“I don’t believe the flag is for what it says it’s for… For liberty and justice and all that… It’s obviously not with what’s going on in America today.”
India and her mother filed a lawsuit claiming the school’s decision was unjust and violated her rights. Recently (Sept 25, 2018), the Texas Attorney General, Ken Paxton, stepped in to stand behind the school and defend a law that mandates all students to stand for the pledge. Since then, India has missed her graduation and has not been back allowed into Cy-Fair ISD.
Press play to watch video below.
The U.S. flag, which is composed of 13 stripes (representing the original colonies) and 50 stars (representing the 50 states) to most Americans is a reminder of their history. However, keep in mind that freedom was not obtained easily or by doing the right thing–it came about through rebellion against Britain and wars. So for Americans of European decent–the flag is a good thing. But for African Americans, the trauma and oppression that they received as a result of another race’s freedom is hardly fair.
This case is a smaller piece to a larger puzzle and an example of what many minorities in America already know today–that liberty and justice for all is simply not true. As far as their actions, the state is subliminally saying that yes, the worshiping of the flag is more important than a Black girl’s education. The trial will take place in April of 2019.
-Farlin Ave (@farlinave)
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Check Out These Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCU) In The U.S. (PHOTOS)
1. Howard UniversitySource:Howard University 1 of 25
2. Prairie View A&M UniversitySource:Prairie View A&M University 2 of 25
3. Spelman CollegeSource:Getty 3 of 25
4. Hampton UniversitySource:Getty 4 of 25
5. Morehouse CollegeSource:WENN 5 of 25
6. Fisk UniversitySource:Getty 6 of 25
7. Florida A&M UniversitySource:Getty 7 of 25
8. North Carolina Central UniversitySource:C.McGraw/Victoria Said It-Radio One Raleigh 8 of 25
9. Delaware State UniversitySource:WENN 9 of 25
10. Clark Atlanta UniversitySource:StarterCAM / RickeySmileyMorningShow.com 10 of 25
11. Tuskegee UniversitySource:WENN 11 of 25
12. Jackson State UniversitySource:Getty 12 of 25
13. Alcorn State UniversitySource:WENN 13 of 25
14. Johnson C. Smith UniversitySource:Getty 14 of 25
15. Bowie State UniversitySource:Getty 15 of 25
16. Lincoln UniversitySource:Getty 16 of 25
17. Bethune-Cookman UniversitySource:Derra Smith 17 of 25
18. Florida Memorial UniversitySource:WENN 18 of 25
19. Grambling State UniversitySource:Radio One Staff 19 of 25
20. Texas Southern UniversitySource:Getty 20 of 25
21. Talladega CollegeSource:Twitter 21 of 25
22. St. Augustine's UniversitySource:Coulstyle 22 of 25
23. LeMoyne-Owen CollegeSource:Getty 23 of 25
24. Shaw UniversitySource:Coulstyle 24 of 25
25. Miles CollegeSource:Getty 25 of 25
Texas Student Still Seeking Justice, Expelled For Refusing To Recite Pledge Of Allegiance [VIDEO] was originally published on thebeatdfw.com