It’s been more than two weeks since police killed another unarmed Black father in Barstow, California after Stephon Clark‘s fatal shooting. The families of both Diante Yarber and Clark are still left wondering when justice will come for these young fathers.
Excessive force and talk of misconduct concerning officers have been cited in both deadly shootings, with an attorney revealing a cop’s racist past in Yarber’s case.
Follow Majic 94.5 On Twitter: Follow @majic945
One of the officers who killed Yarber, who was struck by 10 bullets out of some 30 revealed by witnesses and according to a medical report, was convicted of a hate crime in 2010, S. Lee Merritt, a civil rights attorney hired by Yarber’s family, said. Cops also used racist slurs to refer to Yarber, a father of three, during the April 5 shooting at a Walmart store, Merritt added.
One of the officers said “[Expletive] We’re gonna kill you” to Yarber, witnesses told Merritt.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Cops responded to a call about a “suspicious” vehicle that Yarber was driving at Walmart and claimed the young man hit a police car during the encounter, ABC reported. Witnesses and Merritt have repeatedly said that Yarber posed no threat, saying he was only slowly backing out of a parking lot spot when officers fired their guns. Yarber’s fatal shooting, like that of Clark, was also seen as unjustified, witnesses added. They also believe that officers also failed to provide medical aid to Yarber after he firing at him.
Yarber’s cause of death was asphyxiation, Merritt said. If medical aid was rendered quickly, then the young man may not have choked on his own blood, witnesses said.
Barstow police have not officially released any of the names of the officers. However, one officer was identified as Jimmie Alfred Walker by sources who spoke with Merritt. Walker was convicted of hate crime for allegedly assaulting a Black couple and using racial slurs during an off-duty altercation in 2010. He pleaded to a lesser charge, got a settlement and was reinstated to the police force.
The cop had a documented history of hate, but yet he was allowed to patrol the streets again before taking Yarber’s life. This horrible information may never have been known if it wasn’t for Merritt and other activists calling for justice.
The fight for Yarber’s family must continue as more questions remain about the young man’s shooting, including why police have not released body camera video.
- Tiffany Haddish Gets Her Own Seasoned Salt
- Tamar Braxton Walks Out In The Middle Of Snoop’s Play
- Sunken Place ‘Activists’ Are Whining That Detroit School May Remove Ben Carson’s Name
- Kanye West Donated Money To The Family Of Jemel Roberson
- The National Struggle For Effective Community Oversight Of Police Comes To Nashville
- Once Again, George Zimmerman Avoids Jail Time
- Andrew Gillum Lost Florida Election Because Of Racism, Democrats Say
- Private Consultant Releases New Kendrick Johnson Autopsy
- Man Shoots Ex In The Head At Her Job
- ‘He Just Started Shooting’: Cop Shot Jemel Roberson ‘Out Of Fear,’ Eyewitness Says
49 Black Men And Boys Killed By Police
1. Jemel Roberson, 261 of 49
2. DeAndre Ballard, 232 of 49
3. Botham Shem Jean, 263 of 49
4. Antwon Rose Jr., 174 of 49
5. Robert Lawrence White, 415 of 49
6. Anthony Lamar Smith, 24Source:Getty 6 of 49
7. Ramarley Graham, 18Source:Getty 7 of 49
8. Manuel Loggins Jr., 31Source:Getty 8 of 49
9. Trayvon Martin, 17Source:Getty 9 of 49
10. Wendell Allen, 20Source:Getty 10 of 49
11. Kendrec McDade, 19Source:Getty 11 of 49
12. Larry Jackson Jr., 32Source:Getty 12 of 49
13. Jonathan Ferrell, 24Source:Getty 13 of 49
14. Jordan Baker, 26Source:Getty 14 of 49
15. Victor White lll, 22Source:Getty 15 of 49
16. Dontre Hamilton, 31Source:Getty 16 of 49
17. Eric Garner, 43Source:Getty 17 of 49
18. John Crawford lll, 22Source:Getty 18 of 49
19. Michael Brown, 18Source:Getty 19 of 49
20. Ezell Ford, 25Source:Getty 20 of 49
21. Dante Parker, 36Source:Getty 21 of 49
22. Kajieme Powell, 25Source:Getty 22 of 49
23. Laquan McDonald, 17Source:Getty 23 of 49
24. Akai Gurley, 28Source:Getty 24 of 49
25. Tamir Rice, 12Source:Getty 25 of 49
26. Rumain Brisbon, 34Source:Getty 26 of 49
27. Jerame Reid, 36Source:Getty 27 of 49
28. Charly Keunang, 43Source:Getty 28 of 49
29. Tony Robinson, 19Source:Getty 29 of 49
30. Walter Scott, 50Source:Getty 30 of 49
31. Freddie Gray, 25Source:Getty 31 of 49
32. Brendon Glenn, 29Source:Getty 32 of 49
33. Samuel DuBose, 43Source:Getty 33 of 49
34. Christian Taylor, 19Source:Getty 34 of 49
35. Jamar Clark, 24Source:Getty 35 of 49
36. Mario Woods, 26Source:Getty 36 of 49
37. Quintonio LeGrier, 19Source:Getty 37 of 49
38. Gregory Gunn, 58Source:Getty 38 of 49
39. Akiel Denkins, 24Source:Getty 39 of 49
40. Alton Sterling, 37Source:Getty 40 of 49
41. Philando Castile, 32Source:Getty 41 of 49
42. Terrence Sterling, 31Source:Getty 42 of 49
43. Terence Crutcher, 40Source:Getty 43 of 49
44. Keith Lamont Scott, 43Source:Getty 44 of 49
45. Alfred Olango, 38Source:Getty 45 of 49
46. Jordan Edwards, 15Source:Getty 46 of 49
47. Stephon Clark, 2247 of 49
48. Danny Ray Thomas, 3448 of 49
49. DeJuan Guillory, 2749 of 49
Cops Said ‘We’re Gonna Kill You’ To Unarmed Diante Yarber After Using Racist Slur, Attorney Says was originally published on newsone.com