Follow Majic 94.5 On Twitter: Follow @majic945
A lot of us are getting ready for Thanksgiving in just 7-days and for some of us, its our first time cooking a turkey. Here’s ‘5 Tips for Cooking The Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey‘ to help take the stress out your day. So take a deep breathe, you got this!
1. Choose the right type of turkey for you.
Heritage? Organic? Fresh? Frozen? There are lots of choices out there.
2. Figure on 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of turkey per person.
To buy the right size turkey for your party, simply tally up the turkey-eating guests. Add a few pounds on for bones and you’ve got your turkey weight. For example, 8 people will require a 12 to 14-pound turkey.
3. Brining keeps it moist.
Brining is an easy, sure-fire way to a moist and flavorful turkey. A typical brining solution contains water, salt, sugar and a variety of spices and aromatics.
4. Rub the turkey with butter or oil.
Before putting it in the oven, make sure the skin of the turkey is as dry as possible, and then rub it all over with butter or oil. For even moister meat, place pats of butter under the skin.
5. Invest in a good meat thermometer.
Check for doneness by inserting an instant-read thermometer in the thickest part of the turkey around the thigh, avoiding the bone. At 165 degrees F, it’s done. The turkey will continue to cook as it rests, so the temperature should rise another 10 degrees or so out of the oven.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Follow me share the Majic 94.5 @cindibdfw
- D.L.’s Top 10 Things Cheaters Say
- Jagged Edge Responds To Mathew Knowles Suggested They Sexually Harassed Beyoncé
- Lifetime Announces ‘Surviving R. Kelly Part II: The Reckoning’ Docuseries
- Morning Minute: Jerry Jones Recognizes Tom’s Greatness
- Tom’s Surprise: Chris Paul
- Reverend Al Sharpton: Time To Get Fired Up
- Tom’s Surprise: Kevin Hart
- Tom’s Surprise: Chris Tucker
- Roland Martin: Everyone Needs To Vote
- Tom’s Surprise: Chante Moore